Tevez and Llorente current profiles ……

Carlos Alberto Tévez (born Carlos Alberto Martínez; 5 February 1984) is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for Italian club Juventus. He has previously played for Manchester City, Boca Juniors, Corinthians, West Ham United and Manchester United. He transferred to Manchester City from United in the 2009 summer transfer window, becoming the first player to move between the two rival clubs since Terry Cooke in 1999. His energy and goal scoring rate made him an indispensable player for the club in the eyes of fellow players and media alike. He was promoted to captain at the beginning of the 2010–11 season by manager Roberto Mancini.

In 2011, Tévez sought a transfer away from Manchester, citing family reasons and Sergio Agüero was drafted in as a replacement. His career has been dogged by a long-standing relationship with Media Sports Investment (along with Just Sport), the company which owned the rights of Tévez, and several other players and coaches. This eventually resulted in West Ham United being fined over issues regarding third-party ownership. He has made 62 appearances for the Argentina national team, scoring 13 goals.

Early life

Tévez was born Carlos Alberto Martínez in Ciudadela, Buenos Aires Province, and raised in the neighbourhood of Ejército de Los Andes, better known as “Fuerte Apache“. It was from there that he got the nickname of “El Apache”. His parents changed his surname to his mother’s during a conflict between his junior club All Boys and Boca Juniors.

Tévez has a distinctive burn scar that runs down his neck from his right ear to his chest. He was accidentally scalded with boiling water as a child, which caused third-degree burns and kept him hospitalized in intensive care for nearly two months. After joining Boca Juniors, Tévez refused an offer from the club to have them cosmetically improved, saying that the scars were a part of who he was in the past and who he is today.

Club career

Boca Juniors


Aged 16, Tévez made his debut for Boca Juniors against Talleres de Córdoba in the during the Torneo Apertura of the 2001–02 Argentine Primera División, on 21 October 2001. Boca Juniors were crowned champions of the 2001 Copa Libertadores and faced Bayern Munich at the 2001 Intercontinental Cup on 27 November, where they lost 1–0, however Tévez was not included in the squad. He went on to score 1 goal in 11 league appearances in the 2001–02 season. Boca had finished in 1st place of their 2002 Copa Libertadores group and had reached the quarter-final stage, where they faced Paraguay’s Club Olimpia. Tévez scored after 18 minutes in the first-leg to give Boca Juniors a 1–0 lead, until Olimpia leveled the scores in the 67th minute when Boca defender Cristian Traverso scored an own goal, on 8 May. Boca lost the second-leg 1–0 in Asunción on 16 May. Boca finished three points behind Independiente to finish in second position during the Torneo Apertura. Boca Juniors eventually finished four points behind River Plate to claim second position in the Torneo Clausura.

Tévez had scored 10 goals in 32 appearances for Boca during the 2002–03 season. During the 2002 Copa Sudamericana, Boca where eliminated 3–1 on aggregate by Gimnasia de La Plata in the first-round. Boca Juniors had participated at the 2003 Copa Libertadores and reached the final of the competition, where they faced Santos. Boca Juniors won 5–1 on aggregate, where Tévez had scored in Boca’s 3–1 away win in the second-leg. Tévez was also voted as the tournament’s best player. Tévez scored 12 goals in 23 appearances during the 2003–04 season. Boca were crowned champions of the Torneo Apertura, where Tévez finished as the Apertura’s seventh top goal-scorer with 8 goals. Boca then finished in second spot of the Torneo Clausura, four points behind River Plate. During the 2003 Copa Sudamericana, Boca Juniors reached the quarter-final stages where they were eliminated by Colombia’s Atlético Nacional 5–1 on aggregate. During the 2003 Intercontinental Cup, Tévez, who had just returned to the side from injury, entered the field in the 73rd minute for Guillermo Barros Schelotto, as Boca Juniors beat Milan 3–1 on penalties to claim the Intercontinental Cup on 14 December. Boca had reached the final of the 2004 Copa Sudamericana, where they beat Bolivia’s Bolívar 2–1 on aggregate. Tévez scored in Boca’s 2–0 second-leg win. Boca Juniors finished as runners-up of the 2004 Copa Libertadores. Tévez had scored in both games of Boca’s round of 16 wins against Peru’s Club Sporting Cristal. Tévez also scored for Boca Juniors in their 2–1 second-leg loss to River Plate, having then drawn 2–2 on aggregate, which Boca Juniors went on to win 5–4 on penalties. Boca Juniors played against Colombia’s Once Caldas in the final, where after drawing 1–1 on aggregate, Boca lost 2–0 on penalties. Tévez netted 2 goals in 9 league appreances in the Torneo Apertura of the 2004–05 season. Boca Juniors faced Peru’s Cienciano in the 2004 Recopa Sudamericana on 7 September. Tévez scored after 33 minutes to give Boca Juniors a 1–0 lead, but Cienciano equalised and the match was decided by a penalty shoot-out. Boca lost 4–2 on penalties, where Tévez had failed to convert his side’s second spot-kick.


In January 2005, Tévez was transferred to Brazilian Série A club Corinthians for a fee of US$16 million cash and youth players worth US$2 million. The agent and Tévez also received an additional 15% and 10% transfer fee respectively. The transfer fee has also been reported as US$22 million. Tévez signed a five-year, £6.85 million contract following the Brazilian club’s deal with Media Sports Investment. The deal was the biggest transfer ever in South American football. Investigation by Brazilian police later revealed that MSI owned 35% of the player rights (through BVI company MSI Group Limited) while another 65% owned by Just Sport Limited, another BVI company. Tévez captained the squad to the 2005 Campeonato Brasileiro, and he was named the league’s best player by the Brazilian Football Confederation, becoming the first non-Brazilian player to win the award since 1976.

West Ham United

On 23 August 2006, Sky Sports reported that Tévez was refusing to play for Corinthians. Tévez confirmed on his website on 31 August that both he and Javier Mascherano were signing for West Ham United on permanent deals for undisclosed fees. Media reports speculated that other Premier League clubs turned down the opportunity of signing Tévez and Mascherano because of stipulations put in place by third-parties MSI and Global Soccer Agencies, who owned both players’ rights. The investigation by the Premier League later revealed that Tévez was signed from MSI and Just Sports Inc., and West Ham had the registration rights of the player, but the transfer fees were fully contributed to MSI and Just Sports (the economic rights).

Tévez made his West Ham debut coming on as a second-half substitute in the 1–1 home draw with Aston Villa on 10 September 2006. After this game though, West Ham went on a nine-game winless streak (one draw and eight defeats), which included seven consecutive matches without scoring. This winless run also included going out of both the UEFA Cup and League Cup. In November of the same season, Tévez left the ground early after being substituted and throwing a mini tantrum during a league match against Sheffield United, and as punishment, his teammates decided that Tévez had to donate half of a week’s wages to charity and train in a Brazil jersey. Tévez refused to wear the shirt, saying, “I played in Brazil and have a great respect for Brazil and Brazilians but I’m Argentine and won’t wear that shirt.”

On 6 January 2007, Tévez made his first start for West Ham under the new management of Alan Curbishley in a 3–0 FA Cup third round victory over Brighton & Hove Albion. He scored his first West Ham goal and assisted two others on 4 March 2007 in a 4–3 home defeat to Tottenham. In April, after West Ham were fined a record £5.5 million for breaching Premier League rules over the signings of Tévez and Mascherano, Tévez was cleared to play for West Ham by the Premier League after changes were planned to be made to a third-party agreement related to him. That same month, Tévez was named the club’s Hammer of the Year.

In relegation-threatened West Ham’s final league match of the season against Manchester United on 13 May, Tévez scored the only goal in a 1–0 victory securing the Hammers’ stay in the top flight for the next season.

2007 transfer saga

At the end of June 2007, Tévez rejected a move to Internazionale, and his representative, Kia Joorabchian, stated that he was in discussions to stay with West Ham, as the player had settled into the Premier League and wanted to remain in England. Tévez replied that he would not make a decision until the Copa América wrapped up in July.

On 5 July, the Daily Mail reported that Tévez had agreed to join Manchester United in a deal worth £20 million, which was subject to an appeal from West Ham; West Ham said in turn that they would block any transfer unless they received a majority of the transfer fee. The next day, West Ham released a statement that Tévez was under contract until June 2010, in addition to denying having held negotiations with any other club. Joorabchian contradicted the claim by saying that West Ham had indeed given permission to United to engage in talks.

Manchester United and West Ham sought FIFA‘s assistance to rule on Tévez’s ownership, but on 24 July, FIFA suggested that the case be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Joorabchian intervened by issuing West Ham with a High Court writ “…to compel West Ham to release the registration of Carlos Tévez in accordance with contracts entered into between the parties.” However, the case never made it to court as the Premier League approved an agreement between West Ham and MSI, in which MSI would pay £2 million to West Ham, who in turn released Tévez from his contract.

Manchester United

Manchester United put forward a proposed two-year loan deal for Tévez, which was approved on 10 August 2007. He made his debut on 15 August when he started in place of the injured Wayne Rooney in a 1–1 draw against Portsmouth. On 23 September, he scored his first goal in a 2–0 home victory against Chelsea. In November, United manager Alex Ferguson confirmed that the club wanted to sign Tévez permanently. “He’ll get me fifteen goals this season, and what’s more, they’ll be important goals.” Tévez was greeted with an ovation and singing of “There’s Only One Carlos Tévez” from the West Ham supporters upon his return to Upton Park for an away match (lost by Manchester United) on 29 December. He returned the gesture by repeatedly crossing his arms in front of his chest, in reference to the hammers on the West Ham team crest.

Tévez scored a total of five goals during Manchester United’s successful 2007–08 Champions League campaign. He also scored the first penalty in the shootout against Chelsea in the final, which Manchester United won 6–5 after the match had ended 1–1 after extra time.

He scored his first league goal of the 2008–09 season on 13 September 2008 in a 2–1 away defeat to Liverpool, and his first hat-trick came on 3 December 2008, when he scored a quartet of goals in United’s 5–3 League Cup win over Blackburn Rovers in the fifth round. His first Champions League goal of the season, against Aalborg BK on 10 December, was the fastest goal scored in the tournament for 2008–09 at two minutes and 41 seconds.

On 21 December, Tévez started for United in the 2008 FIFA Club World Cup final, which United won 1–0 over Ecuadorean club LDU Quito, but he was substituted in the 51st minute for Jonny Evans after Nemanja Vidić was sent off.

On 10 May 2009, Tévez was reported as saying that he believed his time at Manchester United would come to an end that summer and he expressed his dissatisfaction at not having been offered a permanent contract with the club and having been dropped from the team despite, in his opinion, not having played badly. Despite this outburst, Tévez was named in Manchester United’s starting XI for the derby match against Manchester City later that day, before scoring the second of United’s two goals on the stroke of half-time, which prompted chants of “Fergie, sign him up” from some of the club’s fans. After the match, manager Alex Ferguson refused to be drawn on the subject of Tévez’s future with the club, saying “I didn’t read any of the papers. He’s a Manchester United player.”

The following game for Manchester United was away at Wigan Athletic. Tévez did not start the game, but came off the bench on 58 minutes and scored the equaliser three minutes later with a flamboyant back-heeled finish. His introduction immediately improved the team’s play and Michael Carrick scored the winner on 86 minutes. After the game, to the relief of most United fans, Alex Ferguson announced that the club had commenced talks to sign Tévez on a permanent deal. This news came on the same day as claims in The Sun that United lawyers were looking into the possibility of a Bosman-type case, which would allow Tévez to be signed for free. Tévez started the next game against Arsenal, but was substituted by Park Ji-Sung in the 66th minute. As he left the field, the Manchester United supporters applauded him, in his last game at Old Trafford for Manchester United. United chief executive David Gill suggested that Tévez’s future would be resolved by early June 2009. Although United agreed to meet the option fee of £25.5 million and offered Tévez a five-year contract that would have made him one of the club’s top earners, Tévez’s advisors informed the club that he no longer wished to play for Manchester United. Nevertheless, reports also emerged that Tévez had ruled out signing for Liverpool, given the implications of a Manchester United player moving to join their north-west rivals.

Manchester City

After protracted negotiations, Tévez signed a five-year contract with Manchester United’s cross-town rivals, Manchester City, after a medical on 14 July 2009. On 12 September, it was claimed that the transfer fee was £47 million, a British transfer record, but this was later denied by both Manchester City and Media Sports Investments. Tévez was given the number 32 shirt, just as he was at Manchester United and West Ham. In signing for Manchester City, Tévez became the first player to move between the two Manchester clubs since Terry Cooke moved from United to City in 1999. After signing Tévez, Manchester City erected a blue ‘Welcome to Manchester’ billboard with Tévez in the background. The billboard was located at the top of Deansgate in Manchester city centre, which leads to Salford and Trafford, where Old Trafford is outside the boundaries of Manchester.

He made his City debut coming off the bench against Blackburn Rovers in a 2–0 away win. He scored his first goal for the club on 27 August 2009 against Crystal Palace in the 2nd round of the League Cup, heading in City’s second goal in a 2–0 victory.

During September 2009, Tévez suffered a knee injury whilst on international duty with Argentina, which would keep him out for two to three weeks, forcing him to miss the match against Arsenal. It was also thought that Tévez would miss the Manchester derby the following weekend, but he recovered in time to play in the match. He set up his side’s first goal for Gareth Barry, but City ended up losing 4–3.

Tévez scored his first and second Premier League goals for the club during a 3–1 win over his former club, West Ham United prompting City fans to imitate the chant ‘Fergie sign him up’. Later that week, he scored the third goal in Manchester City’s 5–1 win over Scunthorpe United in the League Cup, and three weeks later, he scored his third successive cup goal in the quarter-finals against Arsenal. The following week he scored the winner in a 2–1 win over Chelsea. One week later he scored twice, with an impressive brace, in a 3–3 draw with Bolton Wanderers. His next two goals came against Sunderland and Stoke City, scoring six goals in as many matches. On 28 December he continued his goalscoring run, scoring two against Wolverhampton Wanderers, making it eight goals in seven games for the striker. Tévez netted his first Premier League hat-trick for Manchester City on 11 January 2010 in a 4–1 home win over Blackburn Rovers, coincidentally on the same night he received his first ever Premier League Player of the Month award for December 2009.

On 19 January 2010, Tévez spearheaded City’s attack as the club defeated former club and cross city rivals Manchester United in the first leg of the League Cup semi final at the City of Manchester Stadium. Despite United taking a 1–0 lead, Tévez hit the equaliser in from the penalty spot before heading the winner in the 65th minute. The game also involved a slagging match between Tévez and former team mate Gary Neville, which saw Tévez goading Neville and the travelling United fans whilst celebrating his first goal. On 27 February 2010 Tévez scored two goals against Chelsea in a 4–2 away win over the league leaders, following his return from compassionate leave in Argentina. On 29 March 2010, Tévez scored his second Premier League hat-trick for Manchester City against Wigan in a 3–0 victory. At the end of his first year at Manchester City, he was given two club awards, the Etihad Player of the Year award and the Players’ Player of the Year award.

On 18 August 2010, he was made Club Captain by manager Roberto Mancini, replacing defender Kolo Touré. Tévez continued his scoring form in the league from the 2009–10 in the 2010–11 season with two goals in the 3–0, defeating of Liverpool. Against Wigan Athletic, Tévez scored a goal in a 2–0 win. He also continued his goal scoring record against Chelsea with a solo effort taking his tally against it to six goals in five games, and leading to a 1–0 win. He scored a penalty in a 2–1 home win against Newcastle, and followed up with two more goals against Blackpool in a 3–2 away win.

In December 2010, despite his agent recently asking the club to renegotiate and improve his contract, Tévez handed the club a written transfer request, citing family reasons and a breakdown in “relationship with certain executives and individuals at the club”. The transfer request was rejected by the club with a senior club official describing Tévez’s reasons for wanting to leave as “ludicrous and nonsensical”, whilst the club also stated that the player would not be sold in the January transfer window and will seek compensation for breach of contract from his agent if he retires or refuses to play. In the week following Tévez’s transfer request, manager Roberto Mancini believed Tévez would stay at the club after some convincing, as did compatriot at City and close friend Pablo Zabaleta, and club’s Football Administration Officer, Brian Marwood.

On 20 December 2010, Tévez withdrew his transfer request and expressed his ‘absolute commitment’ to Manchester City following clear-the-air talks. On 26 December 2010 Tévez scored twice as City won 3–1 away at Newcastle United. Further goals against Leicester City, Wolves, West Brom, Birmingham City and Notts County took him to 50 goals for his club. The mere 73 games played to reach this figure made him the second fastest player in City’s history to reach that figure, short of former player Derek Kevan‘s 64 game record.

After missing the 1–0 FA Cup semi-final victory over Manchester United at Wembley Stadium due to a hamstring injury, Tévez returned to captain City on 14 May 2011 in the historic final victory over Stoke City.[91] Two days later, amidst rumours of his departure to Italy in the summer, he announced his desire to stay at Eastlands if his family issues could be resolved. However, on 8 June, he told an Argentine chat show host that he “would not even return there on vacation”.

Due to his commitments to the national team in the summer, Tévez was not on the bench for City in the first league game of the season against Swansea City. Tévez made his first appearance of the season in City’s second game of the season against Bolton Wanderers coming on in the 68th minute for fellow Argentine Sergio Agüero. Although losing the captains armband to Vincent Kompany, Tévez stated in an interview that he has had a complete turn around on his stance on Manchester and that he is not moving, “I’m happy at City and I’m not moving from there”. Tévez started his first game of the season against Wigan Athletic in which Tévez missed a penalty that was won by David Silva but played well in the game which ended 3–0 to City with Agüero scoring a hat trick. On 14 September Tévez made an appearance in City’s first ever Champions League game against Napoli coming on as a second half substitute for Edin Džeko which ended 1–1.

Bayern Munich dispute

On 27 September 2011, Tévez was named as a substitute for City’s game at Bayern Munich. Mancini claims that Tévez refused to come on as a substitute in the second half, when City was 2–0 down to the German club, although Tévez denies this and calls it a misunderstanding. Tévez’s actions received widespread condemnation from various pundits and commentators, with Mancini claiming that he wanted Tévez “out of Manchester City”, and that he would never play for the club again. Tévez was then suspended by Manchester City for a maximum period of two weeks as the club began an investigation into whether he refused to come on as a substitute. Following discussions with Roberto Mancini, Sheikh Mansour authorised the placing of Tévez on garden leave where the Argentinian would be paid in full but instructed to stay away from the Manchester City training ground. The club would hold his registration until 2014 unless a suitor could be found. This meant that he would be unable to play any club football unless Manchester City agreed to sell him, and the only football that he could play would be international fixtures for Argentina. However, FIFA regulations allow a player to terminate his contract if he plays in fewer than ten per cent of the club’s official matches in any one season.

Return to first team

Having failed to secure a transfer, and having been fined several weeks’ wages and denied a loyalty bonus, Carlos Tévez came back to Manchester and resumed training on 14 February 2012, with backing of his fellow players, but prejudiced an easy return to the squad by giving an interview on Argentinian TV in which he said Roberto Mancini had treated him like a dog. Mancini had also previously stated that he was ready to welcome Tévez to the fold to boost their bid for the Premier League title. On 20 February, Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly stated that Manchester United could have signed Carlos Tévez on a permanent deal if they had acted quicker, hailing Tévez as a “big game player”. By 21 February, Tévez had publicly apologised “sincerely and unreservedly” for his conduct, and also withdrew his appeal over the City’s decision to severely fine him. Tévez, however, was omitted from the club’s 2011–12 Europa League squad. In a statement released by City, Tévez stated “I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence. My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club”. Tévez was given his own fitness programme when he reported back to the club’s Carrington training headquarters, as City said in response “Carlos Tévez has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct. Carlos returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three-month absence from duties, without permission. Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the club’s finding of gross misconduct which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days. He has since begun a training programme designed to return him to optimum fitness”. It was also reported on 21 February, that Manchester City were approached three times about bringing Tévez back to West Ham United‘s Upton Park, when co-chairman David Sullivan had worked hard in an effort to secure Tévez. By 23 February, Roberto Mancini drew the line under his dispute with Tévez, and insisted that he was available for selection.

Tévez made his return to the Manchester City first-team in a 2–1 home victory against Chelsea on 21 March, coming on for Nigel de Jong in the 66th minute before providing the assist for Samir Nasri‘s winning goal. His first goal of the season came four games later, the third goal in a 4–0 home win against West Bromwich Albion on 11 April. On 14 April, Tévez scored a hat-trick and provided an assist for Agüero in a 6–1 away win against Norwich City. He also played in City’s title-winning game against Queens Park Rangers on 13 May.

At the start of the 2012–13 season, it was reported that Tévez had lost a stone in weight during the close season. Roberto Mancini confirmed the player would remain at Manchester City.

On 12 August 2012, Tévez scored Manchester City’s second goal in a 3–2 win over Chelsea in the 2012 Community Shield. The following weekend, he scored City’s first goal of the 2012–13 Premier League season against Southampton. On 26 August, Tévez scored his third goal in three matches in a 2–2 draw with Liverpool, his 100th goal in English football. The following week, he scored the final goal in a 3–1 win over QPR to become the first Manchester City player to score 50 goals for the club in the Premier League. On 3 November, when City met West Ham United at Upton Park, Tévez received a warm welcome from West Ham fans, and responded by giving them a cross-armed ‘Hammers’ salute. Speaking after the game, Tévez said: “I have always had a fantastic relationship with the West Ham supporters. They were singing my name before the game and that’s why I did that (Hammers salute), in tribute to them. I’ve always felt really at home there.”

On 19 January 2013, it was reported that Tévez had revealed that he nearly retired from professional football in 2012 in the midst of his Manchester City and Argentina crisis. He also spoke about his future and when he would return to Argentina. “It is my desire to return to Boca, but it’s very difficult. I’m dying to wear the shirt of Boca again, but with the contract that I have here it’s very difficult for me to leave.”


On 26 June 2013, Tévez signed a three-year contract with Juventus in Italy. The transfer fee was £10m with an additional £2m in add-ons subject to performance. The fee combined with wages and bonuses due to Tévez in the final year of his contract was estimated to save Manchester City about £27m.

International career

Tévez first came into prominence with Argentina while playing in the FIFA U-17 World Championship. At the 2004 Olympic Games, he won the gold medal and scored eight goals (including the winner in the final) in six matches to be the top scorer of the competition. He was the world’s second-highest goalscorer of 2004 in overall international competition with sixteen goals, one fewer than Iran forward Ali Daei.

Tévez was called up for the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals, and scored his only goal of the tournament in Argentina’s 6–0 group stage thrashing of Serbia and Montenegro on 16 June. However, he was sent off twice in a three-game stretch during 2010 World Cup qualifying, once against Colombia on 21 November 2007 after he kicked fullback Rubén Dario Bustos in the 24th minute, and then on 9 September 2008 after a late tackle on defender Dario Verón that earned him a red card in the 31st minute of a 1–1 draw with Paraguay after he had been booked earlier. Tévez later apologised for the incident.

Tévez was again selected in the Argentina squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup held in South Africa. He scored twice in the tournament, both goals coming in the last 16 match against Mexico. His first goal was a header scored in controversial style as he was in an offside position as Lionel Messi passed to him. However, the offside was missed by the referee’s assistant and the goal was allowed to stand. Tévez scored his second goal of the game with a powerful shot from outside the box.

In the 2011 Copa América Tévez was the only player from either side to miss in the quarter final penalty shootout against Uruguay, resulting in Argentina’s elimination.

Tévez last appeared for Argentina in 2011, and has not been called up since Alejandro Sabella‘s appointment as coach.

Controversy      Sheffield United controversy

Sheffield United were relegated after their loss to Wigan Athletic on the final day of the 2006–07 season. The Premier League fined West Ham a record £5.5 million in the signing of Tévez and compatriot Javier Mascherano. They were found to have been partially owned by businessman Kia Joorabchian’s Media Sports Investment (MSI) company.

Sheffield United first appealed to the league to be reinstated in the Premier League but that failed so they instead moved to exact a financial settlement. Initial media reports suggested that United wanted £30 million, which they believed was the true cost of relegation. The controversy continued for nearly two years, interspersed with various differing media reports and speculations, when, on 17 March 2009, both clubs agreed an out-of-court settlement to end their dispute over this long running saga. West Ham were made to pay £20 million (£4 million a year over the next five seasons) as compensation to Sheffield United.

Goal celebrations

Tévez is known for his tango flare celebrations ever since playing for Boca Juniors, as well with Corinthians of Brazil. During his time at Manchester United, he would hide a baby’s dummy in his shorts and put it in his mouth after scoring a goal as a commemorative gesture to his baby daughter. Since his move to Manchester City, Tévez has often performed a dance where he puts his hands together, bends down and rocks his body; this dance has been named after him as the “Tévez Dance”.

Personal life

Tévez and his wife, Vanesa, have two daughters together: Florencia and Katia. He later sustained an open relationship with 19-year-old actress Brenda Asnicar which lasted about a year. He performs as the frontman for his cumbia villera musical group, Piola Vago, with his brother Diego. The group’s most successful hit, “Lose Your Control”, charted in Argentina. On 6 February 2009, Tévez was stopped by Greater Manchester Police near junction 7 of the M60 motorway. It was found that Tévez was driving without a full UK driving license and with illegally tinted windows. His car was then impounded by the police since he could not arrange for it to be removed himself.

Tévez is known to be a big golf fan, and was seen playing a number of rounds during his unsanctioned home leave last season in the wake of his bust-up with Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini. On July 2012, Tévez surprised golf fans when he turned up at The Open caddying for his good friend Andrés Romero. But Tévez was hardly a lucky talisman as Romero performed extremely badly by finishing in the last place of the 83 players.

          ———-          ———-          ———-          ———-




Fernando Llorente Torres (Spanish pronunciation: [ferˈnando ʎoˈɾente ˈtores]; born 26 February 1985), nicknamed El Rey León (The Lion King in Spanish), is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Juventus F.C. in Serie A, as a striker. Llorente started his career with Athletic Bilbao, working his way through the various youth ranks, and becoming one of the most important offensive players for the club in the following decade, since making his first team debut in 2005. He scored 29 goals for the club in all competitions in the 2011–12 season, and was described as a “Bilbao legend”.

A Spanish international since late 2008, Llorente helped the national team win the 2010 World Cup. He also represented the nation at Euro 2012.

Early years. Though born in Pamplona, Llorente grew up in the municipality of Rincón de Soto in La Rioja. He joined Athletic Bilbao‘s youth system in 1996 at the age of 11, being eligible through his Navarrese roots.

Club career.  Athletic Bilbao

Llorente spent several seasons in the various junior levels of the club, moving in 2003 to CD Baskonia of Tercera División, effectively an Athletic youth team, and also a feeder club since 1997. He scored 12 goals in 33 games for Baskonia, paving way for his promotion to Bilbao Athletic – Athletic’s reserve team – in Segunda División B.

After featuring in 16 matches and netting four goals for Bilbao B in the first half of the campaign, Llorente was awarded with a contract extension until June 2008. On 16 January 2005, he made his first-team – and La Liga – debut in a 1–1 home draw against RCD Espanyol. Three days later, in a Copa del Rey match with UD Lanzarote, he scored a hat-trick in a 6–0 victory, and would go on to feature in all but five of the 19 remaining league games while scoring three goals, and also featuring in four domestic cup matches and the UEFA Cup round-of-32 game against FK Austria Wien.

Before the 2005–06 season, Llorente’s squad number was promoted from number 32 to 9. He scored in the opening day, a Basque derby 3–0 win against Real Sociedad but, throughout the season, found goals hard to come by, which could be partly attributed to a series of injuries including a knee strain, gastroenteritis and a muscle injury. He ended the season with just four goals, two in the league and as much in the Cup, against CE L’Hospitalet.

On 13 July 2006 Llorente signed a new contract with Athletic until June 2011, which included a buy-out clause of between 30 and 50 million. He started the season as arguably the club’s fourth-choice striker, behind Aritz Aduriz, Joseba Etxeberria and veteran Ismael Urzaiz. Athletic’s poor form and lack of goals led to coach Félix Sarriugarte rotating the players, allowing Llorente to force his way back into the side; he ended the campaign with only two goals in 23 matches, although he did score an important one in the closing minutes of a 1–1 draw at Valencia CF.

In preparation for the 2007–08 seasons, Llorente scored six goals in as many pre-season games, and another against CD Numancia in the Caja Duero Trophy. His form led to him becoming Athletic’s first-choice forward, and although he started the season poorly, he ended it with a total of 11 league goals for a side that finished in mid-table. His tally included four goals in two games against Valencia, both impressive wins, and further strikes against FC Barcelona, Villarreal CF and Atlético de Madrid.

Prior to 2008–09, Llorente was confident of a successful season. “I know that I am capable of scoring goals and having a good year and I want to start this term in the same form that I ended the last one in” he said. Despite the team’s modest start to the season he netted 14 league goals – a career-best – with another four in the Cup, helping his team reach the final against Barcelona (1–4 loss).

In the 2009–10 season, Llorente again reached double figures. He led all scorers in the Europa League for a lengthy period, with eight goals and added 14 in the league as Athletic finished in eighth position.

On 28 August 2010 Llorente scored the first goal of 2010–11, in a 1–0 win at Hércules CF. His form continued in the next ten league fixtures as he found the net seven times, eventually finishing the season with 18 goals (19 overall) as Athletic qualified to the Europa League.

In January/February 2012, in two away games separated by only four days, Llorente scored five goals: he started with a hat-trick in a 3–2 win against Rayo Vallecano, adding two in Athletic’s 2-1 win over CD Mirandés in the Spanish Cup semifinals. In the next two matches, both at home, he netted three more, one against Espanyol in the league and two against Mirandés.

Llorente scored in both legs of the 2011–12 Europa League round-of-16 against Manchester United, as Athletic won both games and went through 5–3 on aggregate. In the next round he netted twice at FC Schalke 04 in a 4–2 win, helping the team eventually reach the final.

In August 2012 Llorente refused to sign a new deal with Athletic Bilbao, fuelling speculation that he might be leaving the club. Following a 0–2 derby loss at Real Sociedad on 29 September, in which he was a late substitute, he got into an argument with manager Marcelo Bielsa; two days later he walked out of training early and was sent to practice with the youth squad.

On 3 January 2013, Athletic confirmed that Llorente would be holding contract talks with Juventus FC. On the 21st the Italians‘ sporting director, Giuseppe Marotta, revealed that he was “very optimistic” that the player would join on 1 July, with Bilbao president Josu Urrutia believed to be unwilling to allow him to leave in the January transfer window. Three days later the club formalized the signing, and announced he would sign a four-year contract on 1 July when his contract with Bilbao expired.

Llorente scored just five goals in 36 official matches in his final season with Athletic, playing mainly as a backup for Aduriz.

Juventus.  Llorente officially became a Juventus player on 1 July 2013 after passing a medical at the club. He was given the number 14 jersey.

International career.    Llorente represented Spain at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, his five goals winning him the silver boot as the competition’s second highest scorer. He was also capped at under-18 and under-19 levels.

On 14 November 2008, senior national team manager Vicente del Bosque called Llorente up for a friendly against Chile. He was brought on as a substitute in the 72nd minute of the 3–0 win. He scored his first goal in a 2–0 friendly win over England on 11 February 2009, coming off the bench to score in the 64th minute. After netting 14 goals for Athletic in 2008–09, del Bosque named Llorente in his 23-man squad for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup: he was used as a substitute against hosts South Africa, and scored in a 2–0 victory.

During the 2009–10 season, Llorente was not called-up once, as del Bosque favored Álvaro Negredo. He would, however, be selected for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, also in South Africa, as third-choice striker, where he played in one match for the eventual champions, the last 30 minutes of the 1–0 round-of-16 win against Portugal.

On 8 October 2010, benefiting from an injury to Fernando Torres, Llorente started in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier against Lithuania, in Salamanca. With two headers – his strongest asset – he contributed prominently in a 3–1 win. Four days later, as a substitute, he scored the winner against Scotland in a 3–2 success at Hampden Park. He was selected for the final stages in Poland and Ukraine, being an unused squad member as Spain won another tournament.

Llorente represented the Basque Country national football team five times, making his debut against Cameroon in 2005. He scored one goal for the Euskadi in a match against Catalonia at the Camp Nou, played the following year, and made his last appearance in December 2007.

Leave a Reply